TBI Caused for an Auto Accident
One of the most unfortunate injuries associated with auto accidents is TBI, or traumatic brain injury. In general, TBI can mean a number of different types of impairment, but a simple definition is an alteration or impairment of the brain’s functioning due to a severe blow or jolt to the head.
There is a wide range of severity associated with TBI. This can include anything from brief alterations or losses of consciousness to memory loss or amnesia. Furthermore, those with severe TBI may experience major shifts in behavior or mood, extended bouts of confusion, and severely diminished nervous system functions.
According to the American Congress of Rehabilitative Medicine, cases of mild or moderate TBI entail at least one of these symptoms:
- Loss of memory from the time immediately before or following the accident
- Any loss of consciousness
- Focal neurological deficits
- Altered mental state at the time of the accident, such as disorientation
Mayo Clinic lists the following as symptoms of moderate to severe TBI:
- Prolonged periods of lost consciousness (even several hours)
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Trouble waking from sleep
- Seizures or convulsions
- Chronic or increasingly frequent headaches
- Dilated pupils (could be one or both eyes)
- Fluid drainage from ears or nose
- Diminished coordination
- Numbness in toes or fingers
Victims suffering from TBI may experience noticeable changes in cognitive or behavioral functions, such as irritability, confusion, aggression or other unusual behavior, and slurred speech.
Children suffering from TBI may begin eating less, act unusually irritable, become depressed or disengaged, lose interest in previously enjoyed activities or alter their sleep patterns.
TBI, though it presents itself and affects people in different ways, can completely change an auto accident victim’s life. Additionally, family, spouses and friends may be affected by behavioral changes caused by a victim’s TBI.
For help now, call Toledo Auto Law at 419.842.1166. The call and the advice are free.